Ever since Klaviyo released its SMS functionality, the team and I have been mad at work building out SMS functionality within our clients' Klaviyo accounts. During this time, we've seen incredible results using Klaviyo SMS, particularly in Australia, which has been a great surprise! Before I jump into our simple hacks for building your Klaviyo SMS subscriber list, I thought I'd share further information on why I love Klaviyo SMS over other providers in the marketplace.
So why do I love using Klaviyo SMS over other SMS providers?
The answer is simple! When you have SMS & Email within flows, the overall structure and strategy of messaging are far superior when it's within one platform and not multiple. The other key advantage that is a critical driver for how we communicate this with brands is Klaviyo's ability for onsite tracking from Klaviyo forms such as
- Active On Site
- Submitted Form & Tracked Profile
- Viewed Page
- Viewed Product
We lose these date points and event triggers when forms are created from platforms like SMSBump and Postscript when their signup forms are used in place of Klaviyo signup forms. This negatively impacts Klaviyo's ability to deploy flows such as Abandoned Cart Added To Cart and Browse Abandonment flows.
A great example of this was when we recently experienced was in a client's U.S. account. Their FB Ads team moved them to Postscript SMS and replaced the Klaviyo forms on their site with Postscript forms. The main issue was that it significantly impacted their Klaviyo flows that were reliant on tracking. No SMS provider is worth harming your email channel and results in the process!
You'll see from the below results that the brands we've adopted Klaviyo SMS with are driving incredible amounts of revenue in the short time they've been up and running. One brand, hitting 100k in the last 30 days alone.
Here Are Some Simple Hacks For Building Your Klaviyo SMS Subscriber List
- To start, think of an offer exclusively for your SMS VIP Subscribers. I love using Free Gift With Purchase incentives as, throughout rigorous testing, it's proven to beat monetary and percentage-based discounts time and time again.
- Create an embedded signup form for your "VIP SMS Subscribers" and embed this on a website page like the following example, www.website.com/pages/sms-vip-subscribe
- Start promoting the above signup form through your Instagram story swipe-ups and create a competition-style email campaign within Klaviyo to boost your signup numbers.
- Ensure you're collecting SMS consent at the checkout (Shopify Plus) or giving them the option within your Shopify checkout settings (regular Shopify users).
- Create another embedded signup form for collecting mobile numbers on your Shopify store's Thank you' page. You can embed the script into your Shopify checkout with a unique offer and follow the Klaviyo Help Center documentation here.